This was an interesting hike. I did not know much going into it except that it was listed as "hard" and that it had ladders.
The first surprise was that the parking lot was over three miles from the mountains. We walked past a golf course and down a long dirt road through the woods to get to the actual trail. Even then, we hiked along the edge of a lake for some time before even beginning to ascend. I was fairly concerned at how tired I was before we even started to climb.
There was plenty of climbing, and some of the views made it really worth the effort.
This was the first mountain climb that went more or less like I naively imagined climbing a mountain would work. Much of the trail was just a scramble upward over whatever terrain happened to be in the way. At least that is how it felt compared to Cascade, where the trail was far more traveled and seemed to wind more gradually up the mountain. The big difference, which is obvious in retrospect, was that we basically hit three separate peaks over the course of the hike - Sawteeth.
This is a picture taken from a bridge that returned us to civilization. I almost lost my phone here while trying to shake a spider off of it immediately after joking that I ought not to drop my phone.
- DSC03761.JPG (461.4 KB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- DSC03787.JPG (926.3 KB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- DSC03800.JPG (870.9 KB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- P1040043.JPG (4.3 MB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- P1040047.JPG (4.1 MB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- P1040074.JPG (3.9 MB ) - added by 7 years ago.
- Sawteeth.csv (464.7 KB ) - added by 7 years ago.