The Trac User and Administration Guide
Table of Contents
The Trac Guide is meant to serve as a starting point for all documentation regarding Trac usage and development. The guide is a free document, a collaborative effort, and a part of the Trac Project itself.
Trac is an enhanced wiki and issue tracking system for software development projects. Trac uses a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. It helps developers write great software while staying out of the way. Trac should impose as little as possible on a team's established development process and policies.
It provides an interface to Subversion as well as other version control systems, an integrated Wiki and convenient reporting facilities.
Trac allows wiki markup in issue descriptions and commit messages, creating links and seamless references between bugs, tasks, changesets, files and wiki pages. A timeline shows all current and past project events in order, making the acquisition of an overview of the project and tracking progress very easy. The roadmap shows the road ahead, listing the upcoming milestones.
- Using the Wiki subsystem:
- Trac Wiki — How to use the built-in Wiki.
- Wiki Formatting — Reference to the wiki syntax.
- Using the Version Control subsystem:
- Trac Browser — Browsing source code with Trac.
- Trac Changeset — Viewing changes to source code.
- Trac Revision Log — Viewing change history.
- Using the Ticket subsystem:
- Trac Tickets — Using the issue tracker.
- Trac Roadmap — Tracking project progress.
- Trac Reports — Writing and using reports.
- Trac Query — Executing custom ticket queries.
- Trac Batch Modify - Modifying several tickets in one request.
- Other modules and general topics:
- Trac Search — Full text search in all content.
- Trac Timeline — Historic perspective on a project.
- Trac Rss — RSS content syndication.
- Trac Accessibility — Accessibility keys.
- Installation and upgrade:
- Trac Install — How to install and run Trac.
- Trac Upgrade — How to upgrade existing installations.
- Trac Import — Importing tickets from other bug databases.
- Trac Plugins — Installing and managing Trac extensions.
- Configuration and customization:
- Trac Ini — Trac configuration file reference.
- Trac Permissions — Access control and permissions.
- Trac Navigation — Customize main navigation menus.
- Trac Interface Customization — Customizing the Trac interface.
- Trac Logging — The Trac logging facility.
- Administering the Version Control subsystem:
- Trac Repository Admin — Management of Source Code Repositories.
- Administering the Ticket subsystem:
- Trac Tickets Custom Fields — Expanding tickets with customized fields.
- Trac Notification — Email notification.
- Trac Workflow — Configurable Ticket Workflow.
- Trac Environment — All you need to know about Trac environments.
- Trac Admin — Administering a Trac project via the command-line.
Support and Other Sources of Information
- Trac FAQ — A collection of Frequently Asked Questions on the project website.
- TracDev and API docs — Trac Developer documentation.
- Trac Support — How to get more information.
If you are looking for a good place to ask a question about Trac, see the MailingList. It provides a friendly environment to discuss openly among Trac users and developers.